I have had a relatively easy time since my last chemo or so I thought.

Didn’t get any nausea and didn’t get constipated (sorry) which was a massive bonus. I felt so good that I went to work on Friday and I was in full swing of energy at the weekend. The weather has been miserable lately in London and yet, on Saturday, by 10.00am I had done all my chores and was literally fidgeting on my sofa, looking out the rain outside thinking “I need to get out, I need to get out, if only it wasn’t so miserable outside…!”. By 10.30, I couldn’t stand it any more and wrapped myself warmly and set out for a long walk in my neighbourhood. I ended up walking for 4 hours (with a few pit stops of course!) and went I got back home, I was energised and happy….and then the sun came out! Really? Now?! Still it didn’t bring me down.

Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday except that I went for a Sunday roast in a local pub with my friends and their new baby. Then we went for a walk in the rain….

The nasty started on Monday morning….first of all, I woke up feeling as big as a house…my stomach was so bloated and uncomfortable. Then I started to feel a twinge in my left arm (the one where I get the chemo in) and finally, I nearly got sick on the bus….not the best way to start the week! I mean, I am already not a massive fan of Mondays but this was not helping!

The bloating carried on for the day and the pain in my arm deepened. I can’t basically stretch my arm out and the area where I got canulated feels sore. It’s not really muscle pain but my arm feels tight and I can’t stretch it to the full extend. A bruise suddenly appeared near the area where I got “plugged” in and I can feel a little “knot” there too.

I was hoping that it would solve itself out through the night but woke up this morning and it was a little bit worse. I finally got round to call the Chemo department and spoke to a nurse. She said that it is a common side effect of this particular treatment as I didn’t get a PICC line (I knew they were going to throw that back in my face at some point!) – I said that was ok, I just wanted to be sure that what I was experiencing was a normal thing and not something unexpected. I didn’t get it the first time so I didn’t expect it to appear after. She wants me back for a DOPPLER scan though, just to be sure that there is no clot. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to go back to hospital this week but what can you do? I know they are going to make a comment on the fact that I didn’t get a PICC again tomorrow and hope this won’t be an issue for the last session…It would really be a shame that things get worse instead of better now that I can see the end of it!

As for the bloating? well, I drank lots of liquids and stayed away from anything with carbs in it and then popped a couple of Senokot dual action before I went to bed last night. I am still a little uncomfortable around the tummy but nothing as bad as yesterday. Onwards and upwards as they! The end is near!!!